Chazz Lewis is an educational specialist who “teaches teachers to teach” in a chain of child development centers. He works closely with schools, teachers, and children. He earned his master’s in executive leadership at American University. Mr. Chazz envisions a world where most people wake up every day, enjoying the process of becoming the best versions of themselves. He’s also well known on Tik Tok, Instagram, and his own podcast Get Vocal.
In today’s episode, Mr. Chazz explains how he got into teaching, why he decided to teach young children, and what kept him teaching. He also talks about building a community in the classroom and being the community you want to build.
Here are some tips that Mr. Chazz shared:
- A classroom is a community. It’s important to think seriously about what kind of community I want to create in my classroom, and model it consistently. It all starts with me.
- A sense of belonging is important in a community. I need to make sure all children have a sense of belonging in my classroom. I need to find ways to connect with children whose behavior is a cry for support, instead of excluding them which destroys their sense of belonging.
- It’s okay to let go of being a perfectionist and be an improvenist instead.
This episode focuses on Regard for Student Perspective.
Topics Discussed in This Episode
- [00:00:26] Today’s guest, Mr. Chazz
- [00:01:36] Why Mr. Chazz decided to teach young children
- [00:03:54] What’s kept Mr. Chazz teaching
- [00:06:52] What it was like for Mr. Chazz when he started
- [00:10:01] Spoken word for the classroom
- [00:11:52] Building community in the classroom
- [00:14:30] Setting a tone for the classroom
- [00:24:33] How children can recognize insincerity
- [00:27:17] Being the community that you want to build
- [00:29:04] Encouragement for teachers
Join the CLASS Learning Community to continue the discussion with thousands of other educators.
Thanks for listening!
Check out Teachstone's other podcast, Impacting the Classroom!